Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cadence-6 months

As promised, here is a blog dedicated to Cadence and her recent happenings.

She decided to ring in the new year with a bang, by rolling over from her back to her tummy and sitting up on Saturday, January 2. Ryan agreed to watch the kids while my mom and I went shopping and of course, she decided to perform for him while I was gone. She has still yet to roll from her tummy to her back, but she's pushing up on her arms really well so it's just a matter of will.

In the second week of December, my perfect little sleeper began waking at night. We were in Sptbg. that week in different surroundings while Ryan was in CA, so I didn't think much of it; however, this trend continued on into the second week of January. I contributed it to a growth spurt, teething, excitement over her new skills, etc., but after 50 days of waking at least 2-3 times a night, I decided that this was just becoming a bad habit and she apparently had forgotten how to sooth herself back to sleep. We've been retraining over the past two weeks and it's getting better. She still wakes around 1-2 am, usually on her tummy and frustrated, but once we roll her over and give her pacifier to her, she calms down within a few minutes and goes back to sleep. I'm so relieved that we're getting back on track.

On January 12-13 (this is still debated), Cadence said "da-da". She began babbling a lot on the 12th and these syllables haphazardly came together :) She has, however, continued to utter this same set of syllables over and over and over ever since. She's also beginning to try to wave. She practiced this a lot over the past weekend while we were at a first birthday party for her friend Perrin.

Cadence also was able to experience her first snow in January. As you can see from the slideshow below, I don't think she was all that thrilled. Preston and I parked Cadence in her stroller under his slide on his playset so she didn't get covered in snow so that we could enjoy being "snow pirates."

Cadence went in for her six-month checkup last week. All in all, she's doing well. We may have some allergy testing done soon to see if we can determine the cause of gas and eczema that have been troubling our little girl since day one. Although the tests are usually not conclusive at her age, I can see that the eczema is really bothering her because she is constantly scratching and often making her skin bleed. I have been eating a very limited diet and re-introducing foods periodically to see how she reacts. I'm pretty sure she has a dairy allergy and possible allergy to egg and peanuts. It's pretty rough as she's been exclusively breastfed since birth, and I'd really like to be able to supplement periodically, but I certainly don't want to put her on a milk or soy based formula if she's allergic and paying approximately $40 per container of alimentum is just out of the question. Thankfully she doesn't seem to be bothered by oatmeal, as this is the only thing she is able to eat for now. We had started introducing other foods, but were having breakouts and other symptoms so we've stopped for now.

Here are her current stats:

16 lbs., 12.5 oz - 55%
26.50 " long - 65%

As you can see, she's about average for her weight and height but she's certainly above average in our book.

Cadence will soon be reaching another milestone...a tooth. After a very fussy day yesterday, she woke up with a swollen bottom gum this morning. The little white dot that I've been seeing for a few months now is about to make it's grand appearance. I feel so bad for her as I can only imagine how bad she must be hurting, but hopefully once the tooth is in some of the pressure will ease and she'll be back to her bubbly self. I included a pic of her swollen gum in the slide show as well.

I think that should catch everyone up. As I've mentioned before, Cadence is such a happy baby and we are so blessed to have her as part of our family. Check out her most recent pics below.

(sorry-slideshow has decided not to work...looking into a solution but will probably be early next week before I get to update)


P.S. - I see that the slideshow box is the wrong size. I'm too tired to fix it. It works, and right now, that's all that matters. I'm off to bed.

No comments: